AddictStory Forums.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AddictStory Forums.

Get Addicted.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to be a Good GM *READ BEFORE POSTING APPLICATION*

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
xHakunaMatata
Admin
xHakunaMatata

How to be a Good GM *READ BEFORE POSTING APPLICATION* Empty
PostSubject: How to be a Good GM *READ BEFORE POSTING APPLICATION*   How to be a Good GM *READ BEFORE POSTING APPLICATION* I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 10:23 am

How to be a good GM!

Credits : WordofGosu , BanHammer for finding it.

First of, I'm going to explain to you "What is a GM?"

A GM is Game Master for short. The Game Masters are people who have some extra ordinary permissions and can "control" the game. The job of a GM is to:
1. Help people out who needs some kind of assistance.
2. Ban hackers, hackers are cruel people who just tries to ruin the game.
3. Hold the stability in the game. Be sure people aren't harassing each other or being assholes to other people in the game.
4. Make events and also making sure that the players have fun and aren't bored all the time. You should prioritise all of the other GM jobs before this.

Imagine everyone is bored and want a event, but there is also a hacker packet editing and making everybody DC from FM in channel 1 and someone running around scamming people and harassing.

The bored players can wait with their event, 'cause that's just for the fun sake and won't really ruin the game for 'em. If everybody DC's in FM 1, it will ruin the game for lots of people and if somebody is being a asshole too it make it even worse.

Okay, I'll now go on to the steps.

Step 1: Always stay cool and be nice to everybody
You are in this situation.
A lot of people is running around FM and having fun, until a guy begins to harass people and being racist. A player smega you and asks if you want to come to the FM. You go there and use your hide skill, so you can stalk the harassing guy without knowing of your presence. When you see him harassing people, you go out of hide and say to this guy "Hello <name>. I have observed you in some time now and I've seen you harass people. I'll jail you if you won't stop.", but he just being disrespectful to you and going on. A GM should NEVER freak out and I really mean, never!. If you freak out, all the players around you will think you are really immature and a GM should always try to be the "perfect" one who doesn't do anything wrong. If you begin reacting like an idiot too, your not any better than him and you would seem really lame in the players eyes. In this situation, jail him in a period of time. When you unjail him, stalk him again(in hide of course) and see if he does it again. If he does, ban him without a warning.

This is just a example of an situation I could think of on the top of my head. The point is: You should always stay cool, even if the player was swearing at you and only talking BS to you.

Step 2: Always use your best grammar, right capitalization and punctuation
People will take you much more seriously and show you much more respect. Trust me, it's true. "if a gm talks liek this!!!11" people will just think "what a noob". "If you rather talk like this." It may people think you are more mature and it also looks better.

Step 3: Don't act noobish. Use Maple Messenger instead of warping people around
Personally as GM, I prefer talking to players who needs assistance in the Maple Messenger. 1. Because they can pick themselves if they wanna talk to you, which means you show them some kind of respect. 2. Because you can write privately without anyone disturbing you, but they can still be another place. 3. If a GM appears in a populated server, they usually will get asked tons of questions and will be over crowded. If you use the Maple Messenger it will be much more discrete, which makes you seem more pro in the players eyes - it's also a benefit because you can just stand in the GM map all day but help tons of people out meanwhile you do something else, since it's rarely that they need your physically powers without it being a abuse.

Step 4: NEVER abuse your powers as a GM nor favorite some players over others
The title of this step kinda explains it all. You shouldn't make the game unfair for others. If you give out a item or some kind of boost it should be fair and everyone should be able to participate in getting that, like a event - you know what I mean, just don't make unfair advantages for players.

Don't favorite players either. Everyone should be equal, favourites can make other people jealous and as I said in Step 1: "a GM should always try to be the "perfect" one who doesn't do anything wrong".

Step 5: Try to be at certain places only when necessary
Okay, if a GM hangs around FM all day it will really stress you out because people will most likely overcrowd you all the time with questions etc. If all GMs were some kind of a mysterious person who does everything right and seeing a GM is really rare, GMs would be more interesting and they would get alot more respect. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about since I've been like 12 times now ^__^. Try to hang around as much as you can in the GM Map, if all the staff hang around there and helped people through !notice and Maple Messengers, it would be much better also because if GMs are everywhere the players won't concentrate so much about leveling or doing all the fun stuff on your server/the server you are GM on, but on crowding the GMs.

Step 6: Don't ask people if they need help. They should ask you
If you spam the !notice with a message saying "Does anyone need help?" each minute, people gets annoyed. Also, as I said in the other steps: GM's should try to be mysterious and not doing anything wrong". It may you seem noobish and makes you look desperate if you do that.

Step 7: IMPORTANT! Know the commands!
The commands is really really important. If you don't know the GM commands, you are just a helpful person who seem to backseat moderate(being a wannabe GM). You can find the GM commands around the web. Learn 'em all by head.

Step 8: Don't do too much events.
If you give some cool stuff out like Crimson weapons, you shouldn't make weapons really often(Like once per 24 hours if your server is around 300+) because that would just make everyone have the godly stuff in no time and that would ruin the fun. It's a good idea to give out karma, so people can buy stuff for themselves in the Karma shop. It makes people want to do the events more because they want ex. a GM scroll or the GM hat.
Back to top Go down
BanHammer
True Member
BanHammer

PostSubject: Re: How to be a Good GM *READ BEFORE POSTING APPLICATION*   How to be a Good GM *READ BEFORE POSTING APPLICATION* I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 10:45 am

Noted. Read.
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.com
sorcress
Pro
sorcress

PostSubject: Re: How to be a Good GM *READ BEFORE POSTING APPLICATION*   How to be a Good GM *READ BEFORE POSTING APPLICATION* I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Read. Got it
Back to top Go down
http://nyrietta.deviantart.com
Gigatech
Passionate!!
Gigatech

PostSubject: Re: How to be a Good GM *READ BEFORE POSTING APPLICATION*   How to be a Good GM *READ BEFORE POSTING APPLICATION* I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:54 pm

This is a nice guide Very Happy

Brb going to learn GM commands(I forgot a lot of them, I used to know all the begginings D:<) study study
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to be a Good GM *READ BEFORE POSTING APPLICATION*   How to be a Good GM *READ BEFORE POSTING APPLICATION* I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to be a Good GM *READ BEFORE POSTING APPLICATION*
Page 1 of 1